||Download data sheet
BOD5 (Biological Oxygen Demand in 5 days) is a critical parameter for wastewater treatment monitoring. It is used daily to control the conformity of wastewaters released from urban and industrial treatment plants.
Envolure has developed and validated a strict surrogate to the reference method (EN NF 1899-1) making it possible to obtain BOD5 results in 48 hours for many samples: Enverdi-BOD.
This new product is based on the use of a bioreagent, which is chemically reduced in microbial cells during the aerobic respiration, leading to an increase in the fluorescence signal. Fluorescence intensity, recorded throughout the incubation is directly proportional to the amount of organic substrates biodegraded.
Definite results are reached after 48 hours of incubation at 30°C.
The endpoint concentration provided by the Enverdi-BOD kit is directly expressed in mg O2/L, like for the reference method.
Enverdi-BOD provides the user with many features :
- Fast: analytical results obtained in 48 hours,
- Profitable: the microplate format provides a sharp decrease in analytical costs, up to 3-fold.
- High-throughput: one kit enables to perform up to 80 BOD5 (no replicates) or 40 (with duplicates)
- Unique: unique analytical tool for regulatory analysis and WWTPs’ operation monitoring
- Miniature: incubation takes place directly in the fluorescence reader, bench surface less than 1 m2
- Simple: 45 minutes are required to prepare 40 duplicated samples, which is 5 to 10 times faster than the conventional method
- Automated: data recording and management are fully automated.
Enverdi-BOD has been validated internationaly. This validation was performed jointly at the central lab of the Greater Paris Water Authorities (SIAAP, largest WWTP in Europe) and at the central lab of the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewerage District (MMSD). All validation results comparing reference methods (EN NF 1899-1 in France and 5210 in the US) have been published in Environmental Sciences and Pollution Research (Muller et al., 2014).
Envolure is offering another kit, Enverdi-Process, to address the specific questions of wastewater treatment professionals.
Based on the same analytical technology as Enverdi-BOD, Enverdi-Process offers to environmental analytical labs the possibility to expand their services.
The Enverdi-Process kit enables to perform the following assays :
The kit can reveal in 24 hours the presence of a potential inhibitor or toxic agent in the wastewater. The operator can therefore quickly act on the treatment process. The assay is performed directly on the WWTP biomass and does not use any external reagents or biological references to avoid any biased results.
- Determining the toxicity threshold of a toxic compound to the existing biomass,
- Analyzing the recalcitrance of an industrial biocide,
- Determining the most resistant bacterial strains to certain chemicals
The kit can be used to monitor the level of activity of a biomass with time. Results can be gathered very quickly, usually in approximately 2 hours, and can therefore be used to act upon the treatment processes.